Thursday, October 05, 2006

Mainbody....uhg


well well well, we have hit Mainbody. The beginning of the season was a bit delayed because after the first flight the weather was too bad to get the next few planes in so we got two extra glorious days without more people coming. I felt bad for the winter-overs though, some of them have been here a year and they are more than ready to leave, so I know it was a dissapointment to think they were on their way out and have to wait a couple days before heading off into the wild green yonder. I will miss them though, it has been pretty hard to lose all these people I have grown to like so much over the past couple months. Suddenly I went from knowing everybody to living with tons of strangers. Yeah yeah, I know, maybe I will meet some super cool people at Mainbody too...at this point I am highly skeptical, but then again I have always had a hard time with change. It's tough to see these people as a part of the station...they weren't here when it was -30, or when it was condition 2 for days and days, or when it was dark out for all but 3 hours of the day; they didn't have the misfortune of having to open dorms, and most of them don't have to work a full week the day after they get here...I am sure some of the winter overs felt the same way about me and after a few weeks I am sure I will get used to them and stop thinking of them as the people who ruined my nice little community...but that feels kind of intangible at the moment. At breakfast this morning I couldn't believe all the lines and how rude people were being, things like that didn't really happen during winfly and I definitely miss how courteous people were. I also have to adjust sharing my room with three other people, being surrounded by 3 times as many people, and lacking in the nice little perks like being able to make a sandwich for myself 24 hours a day or get not have to wait forever for a computer to be free. It's all feeling like too much, this place felt so much like home a week ago and now the snow is melting, we are running out of night-time, and half the people who made it home are gone. In short I am pretty depressed about it all and I wish I could just go back to the way things were. But I guess there is nothing I can do but try to get used to it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Errie! I'm sorry that all these people came to crash your iceparty... but inevitability's a nasty wintery biatch.
I know you will find kind people in that bunch-- you know how it is on the first day of school... or whatever-- people try to play it cool and all confident-- but they're just as apprehensive as you.

Anyway, I'm thinkin about you. *HUGS* + *LOVE*
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Word! I wish it could be winfly forever. So sad.
At least you have a really cool blog.