Only 8 more weeks to go...that's right, I have now gone from coutning months to counting weeks...The other night I was sitting around at Adam's dorm, watching bad TV (at this point we've either seen all the movies a million times or they are something to the effect of Big Mama's House 2) and he was like "I want to go home. Or at least someplace not here." And needless to say, those were my sentiments exactly. I couldn't help but wonder how I can be so set on returning to this place come August and yet can't wait to leave. That's not to say that I won't be sad when I leave; I am sure it will be pretty sad when I pack up my room here and turn in my big red at the CDC back in NZ. But at this point I am completely fixed on that light at the end of the Antarctic tunnel. New Zealand here I come. Though I am a bit worried about how my life post-Ice will pan out. I have not saved nearly as much money as I thought I would; between insurance payments and student loan payments and whatever odds and ends I have needed at the store, my bank account is not nearly as happy as I thought it would be by now. I worry that I won't have enough to travel New Zealand for a couple weeks, have down time at home, and go to Switzerland to see Nick...all while holding onto my insurance (I have pretty much figure that last part definitely won't happen). Also, this trip through New Zealand is the first trip I have ever planned really. The only time I have really travelled has been with Nick and Ben (and needless to say, Nick was tour guide extrordanaire) and now I am planning on going from Christchurch to Auckland within what will be somewhat of a strict time frame (once my ticket out of NZ is set up) when I haven't been able to go anywhere in 6 months without filing out an eFootplan (don't ask). So for now I will put it all out of my mind and look forward to the next two weekends which will both be 2 days long and contain things such as Christmas parties, Christmas dinner, Icestock, the chili cook off, and new year's...so stay tuned.
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Well look on the bright side, if you run out of money once you get home, you could always come and work at paper products :) hehehe I LOVE IT!!! hope you have a great christmas, miss you lots, and a happy new year
From one traveler to another...you will figure out a way of making it work! The experience is so worth it! And plus, as soon as you start traveling you will get the hang of it quickly and find ways of skimping on some things (eg. buying food at the grocery store - not restaurants) to make your money stretch. Merry Christmas!
Erin,
We went to a Star Wars Exhibit in Portland this week and thought of you! They had a Big Red suit on display showing the attire of people on the ice. I said --hey I've seen pictures of those-- on Erin! Too cool. Thinking of you -- Auntie Monica
Post a Comment