Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Soooooo close...and yet so far away


I'm in the home stretch...I'm almost there! Today was my last day of work, and I'll admit, it has been a really trying week. IYou can tell I am depressed when I listen to nothing but Elliot Smith...Basement on the Hill no less. Pretty much every day was a bad day so to make up for it I had to have all good nights...which basically meant staying out til at least 3am every night (if not later), but why not right? Soon I will be on vacation and have all the time in the world to sleep. It's really hard watching plane after plane take of with more and more of your friends, today's flight definitely made a big dent; suddenly we have a population of only a little over 300 and you can walk around for a good 10 or 15 minutes without seeing a single person. All the washing machines are always open, you never have to wait in line for food, and only one bar is open...and even then it's BYOB. I live in a ghost town...isn't that what I wanted? At the beginning of Mainbody I was talking to Ruth the hairdresser and I was like "Oh my god, all these people and I can't escape!" and she said that her first season she was really an introverted person too but then she got so used to being around people that suddenly she couldn't not be, to which I replied "that will never happen to me". Well here I am, lonely in Mactown, but only less than 48 hours. So all you people out there who have been keeping up with my time down here put happy thoughts out into the universe of my plane taking off on Thursday (Wednesday to you), pray that there is no engine troubles or weather delays because I swear, if I get stuck here after the 22nd I will be a sobbing mess. This morning I was so anxious to get out of here I felt like I was practically shaking, but then I went to the dreaded transport, otherwise known as "line up and say goodbye to your friends as they leave you behind", and as soon as they left I realized "If they're gone that means I'm next!"...and then I went to the hallway of 155 to look at my name on the bag drag list, yet again, and press my face to the glass (okay I didn't really do that last part), knowing that tomorrow I bag drag (take your stuff up to building 140 to be weighed and packed for transport) and the next day I fly out. In case all of this makes it sound like I am fed up with Antarctica, I'm not, I'm just done for a while, it's time for it to end, but I still find myself in totally awe of this place from time to time. Last night was the first sunset, I saw the last one and I was here to see the first, so that was pretty cool. Me and Adam and Jesse walked out to Hut point to watch the sun dip below the horizon (it only did so for about 20 minutes and it never got all that dark but still...). As we were walking back there were lights on in town and the windchill was about -6 and I realized that I was once again hanging out with my original Winfly group (Jesse was on nights all season) and it was good night.


2 comments:

Katie said...

Beautiful video, baby! I'm glad you have had such an amazing time there. I am excited for you to get off the ice and into a nice warm bed in a nice warm place (NZ?!)... I'm not sure what you're doing, but hopefully you'll be hanging out there maxin and relaxin.

HUGS

Anonymous said...

So when does that mean you'll come home? soon? I hope its soon!!