
It's that time again...ice time! Well sort of, right now it's mostly packing time; I have just hit the 10 day countdown to my sophomore year of Antarctic life. It's funny because for 2 or 3 months after I left, all I wanted to was go back, but now that I'm almost there it feels almost too soon.
I had a pretty amazing 6 months in the real world: I visited Nick in Switzerland, with all the bridges, clocks, swans, fountains, and well fed pigeons. I hopped over the border to Milan to check out
the Duomo, pollution, a 90 ft skeleton with a Pinocchio nose, and the Kandinsky exhibit and hang out with some Turkish friends.
I spent my time at home working at good old Island Fitness, going nocturnal for a couple months so that I could open for them at 3:45am...it's really not as bad as it sounds, the nocturnal life can be pretty awesome.
Then I went to the exotic location of Prescott, Wisconsin to sell fireworks with Katie Leum and Ana Bell Marquez and a handful of other ice-people. I learned all about fireworks, the difference between a willow and a blossom, or what a report is, and which 500 g cakes have a crackling finish. More importantly I learned how to push these fancy explosives with the
finesse of a car salesman. I also learned all about fried cheese curds, Culvers, and people who use the term "Bought the farm" literally. And when all the hundreds of hours of firework selling were over we went and broke my brother out of Farsi camp in La Crosse (that's right, my brother was learning Farsi...in Wisconsin) and took him to Katie's farm to play with kittens and go four wheeling, light off our firework bonuses, and sit in the hammock.
So now I am just trying to pack up the life I've reconstructed in the past 6 months and get ready for the Great White South. I can't promise I will be as diligent about updates as I was last year, since the world of Antarctica is no longer a something new, but I'll try to keep up with my life on the ice as best I can.
I had a pretty amazing 6 months in the real world: I visited Nick in Switzerland, with all the bridges, clocks, swans, fountains, and well fed pigeons. I hopped over the border to Milan to check out
I spent my time at home working at good old Island Fitness, going nocturnal for a couple months so that I could open for them at 3:45am...it's really not as bad as it sounds, the nocturnal life can be pretty awesome.
Then I went to the exotic location of Prescott, Wisconsin to sell fireworks with Katie Leum and Ana Bell Marquez and a handful of other ice-people. I learned all about fireworks, the difference between a willow and a blossom, or what a report is, and which 500 g cakes have a crackling finish. More importantly I learned how to push these fancy explosives with the
finesse of a car salesman. I also learned all about fried cheese curds, Culvers, and people who use the term "Bought the farm" literally. And when all the hundreds of hours of firework selling were over we went and broke my brother out of Farsi camp in La Crosse (that's right, my brother was learning Farsi...in Wisconsin) and took him to Katie's farm to play with kittens and go four wheeling, light off our firework bonuses, and sit in the hammock.So now I am just trying to pack up the life I've reconstructed in the past 6 months and get ready for the Great White South. I can't promise I will be as diligent about updates as I was last year, since the world of Antarctica is no longer a something new, but I'll try to keep up with my life on the ice as best I can.

1 comment:
I love that picture of us. :o)
buena suerte en el hielo.
Post a Comment