
I didn’t update last week; failing in my dutiful blogging so early on in the season. Last week I was most concentrating on getting back in the world of the living. I had spent 4 or 5 days on the couch, feeling miserable, watching the Venture Brothers, Australian soap operas, and after school specials from the 80’s. By Monday I wasn’t any better, in fact I was worse. So I went back to medical and they decided to give me a flu test even though they still didn’t think my symptoms we flu-like. Let me just say, a flu test sucks. It sounds like just a little harmless swabbing and Shari, the lab tech, is super quick about it but still…you never want a Q-tip that far into your sinuses; it felt like getting my brain swabbed. Turns out, I had the flu…dun dun dun!
It was a pretty weak positive though, I had gotten over most of it, so they didn’t quarantine me. But I wasn’t allowed to go back to work until Wednesday. I really felt like I would never be healthy again. Luckily that wasn’t the case, I woke up one morning and magically felt much better. Still crappy by regular standards, but less like death warmed over. Being healthy again is a good feeling. I was beginning to get a warped sense of reality, like nothing existed outside the four blue-green walls of my dorm room; that I would wake up everyday in the same snot covered clothing, congested and achey, doomed to live each sickly day identically to the last. I didn’t even go outside for a week, except my 2 brief jaunts to medical, and this is the only time of year that it’s really worth being outside.

It’s good to feel normal again, I’d hate to miss out on any more of winfly. This part of the season continues to blow my mind. Every single day when I see the sun setting over the Royal Society Range I think to myself “God damn! It’s good to be alive.” Cheesey, but none the less true. These kind of days are fading fast though. I'm going to miss it so much! Don't get me wrong, there are so many people coming in October that I will love to see, but part of me still wishes I had a couple more weeks of this. The station is so small and cozy at this point, it's hard to remember that it was ever anything else. I'm more prepared this year but Mainbody will still hit me like a ton of bricks.
It was a pretty weak positive though, I had gotten over most of it, so they didn’t quarantine me. But I wasn’t allowed to go back to work until Wednesday. I really felt like I would never be healthy again. Luckily that wasn’t the case, I woke up one morning and magically felt much better. Still crappy by regular standards, but less like death warmed over. Being healthy again is a good feeling. I was beginning to get a warped sense of reality, like nothing existed outside the four blue-green walls of my dorm room; that I would wake up everyday in the same snot covered clothing, congested and achey, doomed to live each sickly day identically to the last. I didn’t even go outside for a week, except my 2 brief jaunts to medical, and this is the only time of year that it’s really worth being outside.

It’s good to feel normal again, I’d hate to miss out on any more of winfly. This part of the season continues to blow my mind. Every single day when I see the sun setting over the Royal Society Range I think to myself “God damn! It’s good to be alive.” Cheesey, but none the less true. These kind of days are fading fast though. I'm going to miss it so much! Don't get me wrong, there are so many people coming in October that I will love to see, but part of me still wishes I had a couple more weeks of this. The station is so small and cozy at this point, it's hard to remember that it was ever anything else. I'm more prepared this year but Mainbody will still hit me like a ton of bricks.
This weekend we had Winstock at Gallagher’s to kind of ramp us up for the end of winfly party at the carp shop next weekend. It was a great show, 7 bands, 5 hours of music, so much fun! Again, I come here for the people. The other night I was at the coffee house and one of the firefighters was complaining that he had lost his fake moustache, but that luckily, it turned out that his roommate (a girl) had a spare. The are the people I live with, they have spare fake moustaches and 80’s after school specials on DVD.

Speaking of awesome people, I have the coolest roommates ever. Me and Molly have gotten along so great all winfly so we were a little nervous about getting a couple more. But we got our friend Emily to move in (a fuelie who I know from last year) so our room is shaping up to be pretty awesome. As long as the last roommate doesn’t totally suck things will be great! I told Emily and Molly I must really like them since they both will probably reek of fuel daily. The fumes won't be pretty but it's a small price to pay to live with two really cool people. It's funny because in the real world I find that I don't have that many female friends; I mean I have female friends but they are pretty outnumbered by my male ones, but here I find that I make girl friends a lot easier and I've heard a lot of other girls say the same. I think that's because most of the girls who come here are exactly the kind of girls you want to be friends with, they are just fewer and farther between off this crazy continent. Just one of the many reasons I live in the coolest place on Earth.

Speaking of awesome people, I have the coolest roommates ever. Me and Molly have gotten along so great all winfly so we were a little nervous about getting a couple more. But we got our friend Emily to move in (a fuelie who I know from last year) so our room is shaping up to be pretty awesome. As long as the last roommate doesn’t totally suck things will be great! I told Emily and Molly I must really like them since they both will probably reek of fuel daily. The fumes won't be pretty but it's a small price to pay to live with two really cool people. It's funny because in the real world I find that I don't have that many female friends; I mean I have female friends but they are pretty outnumbered by my male ones, but here I find that I make girl friends a lot easier and I've heard a lot of other girls say the same. I think that's because most of the girls who come here are exactly the kind of girls you want to be friends with, they are just fewer and farther between off this crazy continent. Just one of the many reasons I live in the coolest place on Earth.

No comments:
Post a Comment