Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Delays Delays Delays


Aaaaaaaand I'm still here. All that anxiety about leaving and it didn't even happen. I was pretty bummed out my "last" night so I kept things pretty mellow and when I woke up on Tuesday morning I was still not ready to get on that plane so I was actually kind of happy when I turned on the TV to check on my transport time and found that my flight was delayed due to weather. But when it was cancelled all together part of me realized that I'm ready to leave this place...or it could have been that I had to go back to work; which, by the way, is only standard practice for those of us with the lowly jobs. Anyone who isn't a janitor or DA would not have to go back to work if their flight was cancelled. So that kind of sucked. Luckily I didn't have to work all day though and considering all the rumors that this storm was going to stick around for at least a few days I spent my second "last" night completely neutral as to whether or not I was actually headed to Chch the next day. Yet, when I woke up the next morning to clear skies I actually kind of got my hopes up. So I ate some waffles and prepared myself for the actual possibillity I would get on a C-17 today. But once again...cancellation due to weather (what weather?)...back to work...yet another "last" night. The only difference was that today I had to do laundry because my checked bags are still loaded up with the rest of the cargo at 140 and I only kept 2 changes of clothes in my carry-on. I realized that I don't so much mind the being here, or even the working, I mind that feeling of yet another possible "last" night in McMurdo. Rip the band-aid off already! So I've made my peace with the possibility of never getting out of here. Perhaps I will wake up one day and it will be time to leave or maybe I should just go ahead and get a winter contract. For now it's time for yet another possible last night.

3 comments:

AB Mar said...

So are you going back for a third season?

Anonymous said...

Or...it's like the movie "Ground Hogs Day" and you're Bill Murray.

Unknown said...

Huh. This sounds like a familiar story. In other words, I feel ya. :P

Glad to see you make it off the Ice alright. The South Island is way cooler than the North Island. Have fun!