Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Eugene ---> Portland ---> Home


Time in Oregon did indeed make time pass by more quickly. Days in Eugene went by going to breakfast at the Glenwood, watching movies, avoiding college football, playing with the kitties, buying food and making Adam cook it, avoiding bingo night, reading the new Sedaris book, watching the Food Network (teppanyaki competitions and Have Fork, Will Travel), and scoping out Adam and Claire's new house.

And then it was time for them to move into that new house so, not wanting to be underfoot, I left for Portland...and thanks to Amtrak constantly sucking my train was 5 hours late (argh!) so they put me on a bus...it took forever but I finally got there. I always think Portland won't be as great as I remember but it generally is. From the Powell's mothership and plentiful organic grocery stores to it's functioning light rail system and plethora of live music it is a freaking fantastic city. Yes, there are a lot of dready vegans on fixies but that in no way deters me from enjoying the aesthetic of the many water towers and fanciful signage. Perhaps it will erupt in desert island adolescent violence as Christian Lander predicts , but that doesn't bump it from the top of my possible living places list.

On my one full day there, Katie (Disharoon) took me around the city, checking out potential neighborhoods and finding used bookstores and excellent BBQ before heading for a 5 dollar movie. All in all good cousin time and good Portland time.

Early last weekend I headed back to Bainbridge for Michael's graduation party and pretty much the second I hit Washington state time slowed down...but not as bad as before, sure I have little to do in some aspects and all my painting stuff is packed up but as I close in on the big departure date (less then 10 days to go) I realize all the things I have left to take care of and all the people I need to say goodbye to...so time is speeding up again, I'm sure that last week will go by like it's nothing.

In other news, I talked to my lovely ice roommate Emily and the odds of her heading back are now slim to none...which does throw a major crimp in my plans. I finally have the jobs points and ice time to move into a good dorm (as does she) so we were going to have an amazing room this year...but living in the good dorms isn't as much fun if you have to play the roommate lottery. This really had started to get me down, I mean a lot of my friends aren't coming this back this year (a lot of them are, they are just a little outnumbered by those that aren't) and Em was feeling a bit like the straw that broke the camel's back. Luckily, around this same time I learned that Chelsea got bumped up to primary status! Which means one of my very good real world friends gets to come with me to my ice life! Yay! Granted, this doesn't necessarily solve the roommate issue (she has hardly any housing point and I live in MMI for no one!) but hey, it helps brighten up the outlook for this season. And it could be good to be able to look at this season more through the eyes of somebody going to Antarctica for the first time, give it a fresh perspective. We shall see!

No comments: