
Ah the dregs of the season....less then a month to go and the station is currently experiencing the calm before the storm. Today there is a tanker ship and soon there will be a vessel and more NAVCHPs then the station can handle, but for now everyone is getting as much rest as they can before 12 hour shifts start and piles of supplies start adding up smack dab in the middle of the station. I'll be going to night shift on the 30th (give or take a few days)...but only for a week so I can really truly lose my mind just a little more.
Speaking of losing my mind, the MAAG was this last weekend. For those of you
who aren't familiar with that particular achronym, that would be the McMurdo Alternative Art Gallery. Last year Molly spent hours helping me hang paintings after a long day of work and I swore I would never paticipate in the show again but a year passes and memories fade and it seemed like a good idea at the time. So, even though I had barely done any painting this yearI got what I had together and decided to add it to the show. Uhg. Terrible idea. It was at a much cooler venue this year (the carp shop) but it also meant that people were a little more casual about the are and I spent half the night stressing about drunk people leaning on paintings I did for Salava and Ken. But the event was a hit and I never have to do it again...really this time...unless it's a piece of art that's pretty sturdy...like the safety poster I made for the waste barn door. Yes, it is a gorilla and shark high fiving. No, I didn't design it, I just made it.
who aren't familiar with that particular achronym, that would be the McMurdo Alternative Art Gallery. Last year Molly spent hours helping me hang paintings after a long day of work and I swore I would never paticipate in the show again but a year passes and memories fade and it seemed like a good idea at the time. So, even though I had barely done any painting this yearI got what I had together and decided to add it to the show. Uhg. Terrible idea. It was at a much cooler venue this year (the carp shop) but it also meant that people were a little more casual about the are and I spent half the night stressing about drunk people leaning on paintings I did for Salava and Ken. But the event was a hit and I never have to do it again...really this time...unless it's a piece of art that's pretty sturdy...like the safety poster I made for the waste barn door. Yes, it is a gorilla and shark high fiving. No, I didn't design it, I just made it.As for our pre-vessel preparations we spent the other day down at the pier, in some of the coldest and windiest weather we've had in a while, pulling all the boom (there was a lot) out of the milvans...just in case the tanker should spring a leak. We also got the talk about our responsibilities as part of the spill team, which 

includes being on call for all of tanker, which means none of the wasties can drink at the waste barn party...ah the irony. They ordered too much fuel this year (speaking of irony) and are having to store it in tanks that are generally considered too old to be used so they are pretty nervous about things this year and if things go wrong, the will go very very wrong. But hey, 3 weeks and counting...all I have to do is get through the crazy sleep schedule coming up, vessel, and the end of season skua flood (everyone tends to dump their belongings before they leave) and all will be well.
Just to reflect....
Things I miss:
Apples
Comic book stores
Grocery shopping
Going out to eat
Going to the movies
Rain
Seafood
wi-fi
Things I won't miss:
Sleeping in a twin bed
6 day work weeks
Pork loin
The computer kiosk
Occasionally coming home smelling like trash
Constant dust
Skuas
Things I will miss:
Mactown friends (of course)
My fellow wasties (though we will see after vessel)
Having a pretty bad ass job
Biscuit day
Skua Bins

No comments:
Post a Comment