Looks like my shoulder is doing better so Antarctica has to keep me. It will still be a few more weeks til it is really usable but I am just happy I don't have to go home...though I am really glad that I am halfway through. As much as I didn't want to have to leave the ice tomorrow, I don't think I could handle being here more than 3 months longer. The place has gotten somewhat ugly, most of the snow has melted and it's just a big dirt town full of rocks that I get toworry about vacuuming up as I'm cleaning. Also, there is the matter of getting a worn out; I have only had 11 days off since I left, only 11 days that didn't involve a day of physical labor...and let me tell ya, that isn't much. So it is beginning to show in us Winfly folks, tempers flaring, patience decreasing, and we are all counting down the days to Thanksgiving when we will get a glorious 2 days weekend. Not only will we get a two day weekend but it will mark the start of the holidays when we will get a two day weekend every month until we leave (one for Christmas and one for New Year's) and I can't even explain how exciting that is. More than one two day weekend a month here would be too much. Really there isn't enough to do to fill that much time off, but one a month is perfect. As if I wasn't feeling disgruntled enough these past couple weeks, the fire alarm went off in my building last night at 2am. So we all pile out...though most of us only as far as the vestibule (well it's 0 degrees out there!) and wait around in our pajamas and big reds in the daylight. Though I forgot my big red and had to borrow one from someone who wasn't cold. This sucked for multiple reasons, it's bad enough to get woken up to go out into the cold but the daylight makes it hard to get back to sleep and I have been fighting off the Crud so I am not feeling that great to begin with. And the firefighters' response was less than reassuring, I live in the same building as the galley, the biggest dorm, and a good deal of the work centers so if this building burned down it would be pretty bad, it's the hub of the station. Not that they don't have a contigency plan for this type of thing but still, I expect more than a couple firefighters to come at faster than a mosey up the stairs. But what do I know about firefighting? In any case, the building wasn't on fire and after abouthalf an hour we all got to back to bed. In a total non sequitor, you should check out the volcano I live next to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Erebus. I was just reading up on it and thinking how cool it is that I live about 20 miles from an active volacano, because really, how many people can say that? We can't see it from McMurdo because of the ridge that sits inbewteen it and the town, but whenever I go out to the ice runway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_ice_runway it provides nice view.
Monday, November 13, 2006
Thank god I am only/at least halfway through
Looks like my shoulder is doing better so Antarctica has to keep me. It will still be a few more weeks til it is really usable but I am just happy I don't have to go home...though I am really glad that I am halfway through. As much as I didn't want to have to leave the ice tomorrow, I don't think I could handle being here more than 3 months longer. The place has gotten somewhat ugly, most of the snow has melted and it's just a big dirt town full of rocks that I get toworry about vacuuming up as I'm cleaning. Also, there is the matter of getting a worn out; I have only had 11 days off since I left, only 11 days that didn't involve a day of physical labor...and let me tell ya, that isn't much. So it is beginning to show in us Winfly folks, tempers flaring, patience decreasing, and we are all counting down the days to Thanksgiving when we will get a glorious 2 days weekend. Not only will we get a two day weekend but it will mark the start of the holidays when we will get a two day weekend every month until we leave (one for Christmas and one for New Year's) and I can't even explain how exciting that is. More than one two day weekend a month here would be too much. Really there isn't enough to do to fill that much time off, but one a month is perfect. As if I wasn't feeling disgruntled enough these past couple weeks, the fire alarm went off in my building last night at 2am. So we all pile out...though most of us only as far as the vestibule (well it's 0 degrees out there!) and wait around in our pajamas and big reds in the daylight. Though I forgot my big red and had to borrow one from someone who wasn't cold. This sucked for multiple reasons, it's bad enough to get woken up to go out into the cold but the daylight makes it hard to get back to sleep and I have been fighting off the Crud so I am not feeling that great to begin with. And the firefighters' response was less than reassuring, I live in the same building as the galley, the biggest dorm, and a good deal of the work centers so if this building burned down it would be pretty bad, it's the hub of the station. Not that they don't have a contigency plan for this type of thing but still, I expect more than a couple firefighters to come at faster than a mosey up the stairs. But what do I know about firefighting? In any case, the building wasn't on fire and after abouthalf an hour we all got to back to bed. In a total non sequitor, you should check out the volcano I live next to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Erebus. I was just reading up on it and thinking how cool it is that I live about 20 miles from an active volacano, because really, how many people can say that? We can't see it from McMurdo because of the ridge that sits inbewteen it and the town, but whenever I go out to the ice runway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_ice_runway it provides nice view.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment