

It's my last day in ChCh and I started it off going to the CDC (clothing distribution center) at the Antarctic Center. We had to watch a whole video about how we can't show up for our flight drunk and how we have to try on all our clothing to make sure it fits. Then we go into this changing room...the girl's room has carpeting and a lack of draft whereas the guy's room is cement floor and about the temp of a refridgerator and considering that you have to strip down to your undies to try on all you gear I felt bad for them. I got 2 orange bags (as did everyone) with my gear in them and then tried on everythingfrom long underwear to my big Raytheon parka (usually referred to as "Big Red"...not to be confused w/ the couch). It was a weird experience, we were all in a frenzy trying on all our stuff because the sooner we got our clothing issue over with the sooner we got to go about the rest of our day and everybody wheels and deals a bit with eachother so that they can trade clothing that doesn't fit so they don't have to wait in the clothing exchange line. Since I'm a fngy (fucking new guy...I told you they love the acronyms) I didn't give back hardly anything in case I would need it, and as it turns out I packed incredibley light which is pretty rare for first timers so tomorrow should be easy when it comes to getting my bags together. I promise I will get a picture of me in my tons o' gear, puffed up like a bright red/orange marshmallow, on here soon, I just don't have a computer with that capaility yet. I have to check in for my flight to the ice at 4am which means I have to get on the shuttle around 3:30, which means I need to wake up at 2:30...uhg. Suffice it to say I will be heading for bed around 6pm, kind of a sad way to leave New Zealand but there is always the chance the flight will get cancelled...probably not though, the weather in Mactown has been pretty good. I did however get to see the botanical gardens which was pretty cool...Well good night!

No comments:
Post a Comment