Saturday, August 19, 2006

Planes, trains, and automobiles (okay, so there were no trains)

My nifty Raytheon issue luggage tag:

Me in my lovely hotel room:


I am almost to Antarctica. It's been a long four days of traveling; first I went to Denver, which by the way is an awful city, it's hot and humid and not pedestrian friendly, but my hotel room was awesome, way nicer than I could afford in real life. I spent a couple days at Raytheon headquarters doing my safety training, it was incredibley extensive and a bit mind numbing but I learned a lot. If you want to know about asbestos or the safe and correct way to use a ladder, I'm your girl. Everyone at Raytheon is incredibley nice, you can tell that everyone looks out for eachother and that it is a good group. On Friday, thanks to my cold, had a number of nose bleeds while waiting the five hours for my flight to LAX in the Denver airport, luckily I had none on the plane though. From LAX I flew to Auckland which was a great flight, I slept 8 hours and Qantas serves good tea on their flights. I was so excited to arrive in Auckland, after Denver and LA (too hot!!!) it was great to get off the plane and have it be cool (it's late winter/early spring here) and still get to look at pretty palm trees. Unfortunately I had to go to the domestic terminal and get right on another flight (uhg). So that brings me to here, Christchurch. To be honest it's not all that different then the US here in Christchurch, they just drive on the other side of the road. Since we arrived in the morning I had the whole day to run around town. Me and Adam and our new friend Keegan (pronounced like Keg-an) went to the farmer's market and I got some fuzzy slippers, and then to the art's center, then to Cathedral Square, the heart of the city. Tomorrow I go to the Antarctic Center to pick up my gear and then I hang out for the rest of the day and leave for the Ice the next!!! Once I'm there I will post my pics and probably be coherent enough to say something interesting but for now that is all the news that is fit to print.

No comments: