Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Extreme snow day and old news

Today was a condition 2 all day, it was supposed to change to a condition 1 but it didn't really happen. It was like hoping for a snow day in elementary school...but in the most extreme sense. Though it didn't change we still got off from work at around 3pm because the weather was so bad little work could be done and if it did happen to change to a condition 1 they didn't want people to be stuck out in one of the border buildings. I was really glad because when I was in Hotel California I was the furthest janitor out and since that building is sort of near the sea ice I was afraid I would get stuck out there, at one point you couldn't see past the balcony! Luckily it cleared up a bit and one of the more seasoned people here walked back to the main building with me (it's always good to have a buddy in this kind of weather!). I was amazed at how short an 8 hour work day seemed, the time just flew by. Towards the end of the day me and katie and annabell got to clean baseboards down the main hallways which meant we got to use these little scooterboards so we didn't have to keep bending down. Everyone though it looked like so much fun pretty much every person that passed us took pics so maybe I will get some of those up soon. After we got off work we watched a video that some guys had made down here about Icestock 2000...not a documentary or anything like that so much as a full length totally weird film, it was kind of too strange to be entertaining at some parts but it was fun to hang out with my co-workers on our time off and just sit around in the lounge. The weather got so bad that nthe vestibules iced over and some of the stairs, but me and katie and jesses went for a walk out to the Mcmurdo sign and got some good pics (which I will also hopefully have to post soon) and took some fun condition 2 video. Adam didn't get off work til about 8 at night because being a DA means you don't get off early...no matter how bad the weather is dishes still need to be washed! So we went for a walk around the station in the windy-as-hell weather. It was was warm, we had the buddy system going for us, and there was good visibility so it was pretty safe. And in old news that I forgot to post about but meant to, me and Adam made chicken puffs this last weekend in the galley (you can see the pics on his flickr site). We had to wait til fairly late so that the kitchen would be cleared out but we made some excellent puffs and I couldn't believe how much I had missed real food (food not made in mass quantities all cafeteria style). Also there was a round of inspections for us janitors to make sure we are cleaning our dorms well enough and I got all smiley faces (that's like an A) and I thought they were just going easy on me because it was the first round of inspection but as it turns out I was the only one who got all smileys so I was quite proud. Okay this entry feels a little boring so I think I will cut it off here, I hope the video jazzes it up a bit...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin:
I love your blog. Thank you for writing. I think your pictures are wonderful. Actually, the photo of you in your Carharts is the best thing I've seen in a while. Sort of like Isak Dinesen in Afrika...I'm glad your hair keeps you warm.
Be careful!
Shannon

Anonymous said...

Your video was so cute!!! Post more of them!

xo