Thursday, September 14, 2006

Heavy Shop

In the afternoon I go to Heavy Shop, and honestly, it is the dirtiest building on the station. The mechanics can't exactly help dragging grease from whatever they're working on through the halls and in the breakroom and in the bathrooms, so it is definitely a challenge. Usually the chemicals we use here are pretty tame stuff, we clean most places every day so dirt doesn't get to bad and we like to preserve our Antartcic environment...however, the Heavy Shop is a different story, it requires me to mop with a heavy duty greascutter that causes severe chemical burns so I have to wear long sleeves, gloves and safety goggles while mopping...which defiitely gets uncomfortable considering it is about 80 degrees in there. Luckily the staff is the most supportive of any I have encountered here, they always let me know they appreciate me and that they know they make a mess and thatit's hard work, so that definitely helps when the task it feeling a bit futile (Also, they have the best popcorn there). The other day they stole my mop hose so I had to go out onto the Heavy Shop floor to get it back and that was pretty cool, I got a tour of all the crazy big machines and at least got to see where all the dirt comes from. I am currently working on getting a pair of coveralls that will fit me, so far all the ones there are big enough for 3 of me, because it is tough to come home smelling like gasoline and I'd like to avoud bringing grease to the next building I clean...

No comments: