Monday, September 18, 2006
Woohoo Condition 2
I just spent the last half an hour writing a fairly long post and the moment I hit "publish" the connection went down and I lost it all, grrrrr. I will do the best I can to recreate it with the same enthusiasm I previously expressed but we shall see. We had our first real condition 2 of the season today. We had one a couple of weeks ago while I was out at Scott Base (Kiwi base) but it barely lasted an hour so that doesn't count. What is a condition 2? Well there are 3 weather conditions here, they are classified by visibility, wind speed, and wind chill temp. A condition 3 is our everyday wather, it's good for going out and about. For a condition 2 at least 1 of the following factors has to occur: visibility is between a 1/4 mile and 100 ft, wind chill is around -75 F to -100 F, or wind speed has to be between 48-55 knots. For a condition 1 the wind chill would have to be below -100 degrees F, have less than a 100 feet of visibility, or have a wind speed greater tha 55 knots. In a condition 2 we can still go outside but you can't go off station unless it's necessary, but in a condition 1 (which I hope hope hope I get to see) all work stops, all bars stop serving, and we can't go outside at all. If they really need to get people from one place to another, like back to their dorms or whatever, the search and rescue people tie ropes between the buildings so they can have the people go hand over hand. It's all pretty exciting so I hope I get to see a condition 1 while I'm here. It's been a great condition 2, it's been really warm (3 whole degrees!) so it's been awesome to go out and enjoy the crazy weather without freezing my nose off. Oh and I started taking videos on the digital camera, here is one from today's condition 2. There are more to come (feel free to make requests) so enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Erin!
I am so glad you are doing a blog from the South Pole! I am a huge proponent - it really helps people get a clue about what is going on with your life. It sounds like you are having an amazing time and keep up the blogging. Katie showed my your site and I am so interested! And I promise to leave you a message everytime I visit (it drove me crazy when people wouldn't leave me messages while I was in London - it was like I was talking to no one!)
Post a Comment